7.07.2012

Land That I Love


Phew, what a week! Having Independence Day fall in the middle of the week has worn. me. out. How do you know you've graduated from the "party like a rock star" phase of your roaring 20's and hit the "can't handle that amount of excitement" phase of your late 20's? You spend a little time in the heat, have two jam-packed days of fun-filled activities and wake up day three with what feels like the hangover from hell - complete with a splitting headache and aching body. It's taken me three days to recover from all the festivities. 


We celebrated this year with two full days of patriotism. On 4th of July eve, we went into town for their yearly celebratory event in the park - complete with a mini fair, lots of vendor booths, fresh squeezed lemonade that is the perfect combination of tart and sweet, crispy funnel cakes smothered in powdered sugar and crisp roasted corn. Especially exciting to my girl was the rides, face painting, and fireworks.












Once the sun was asleep and the moon was high in the sky, we settled onto our quilt in the middle of the park to watch the fireworks. Surrounded by thousands of people, we admired the brilliant colors as they dazzled in the night sky above us.



















The next morning, we dragged ourselves out of bed, exhausted from the night before, and journeyed back into town for the annual Independence Day Parade. Once the marching bands, color guards and vibrant patriotic floats concluded their mile-long haul, we jumped in the car and headed to our next destination: the lake house! Once there we enjoyed an amazing lunch of fall-off-the-bone ribs, potato salad, coleslaw, macaroni salad, and rolls all homemade by my amazing parents (is there anything better than a home cooked meal from your parents? probably not.). We had the time of our lives boating, tubing, knee boarding (my Momma's new love...if only she could make it onto her knees), and swimming in the sunshine.








My girl and my Momma




I hope you had a wonderful 4th of July weekend that left you worn out in that I-am-so-blessed kinda way. I hope you spent time with loved ones and cherished friends making memories that will last a lifetime.


So tell me, how did you celebrate your Independence Day?

2 comments:

  1. Looks and sounds like yalls had a wonderful holiday! Since the 4th was in the middle of the week this year, we didn't get to do much. We had a nice cookout with my inlaws and firecrackers with my MIL, hubby, and my oldest. Corbin was too frightened by them. Kenzie is seriously growing so fast! Just the pics you have posted of her this summer, I can tell a difference from beginning of summer to now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like fun! I'm glad you guys got to spend time with family and just enjoy the day. Sweet Corbin, I remember those days with Mackenzie. Believe it or not, one day you'll miss them. Kenzie seems to have turned into a little lady overnight on me! She's grown up so fast.

      Delete